Coffee Side Effects. What are the side effects of the drink of the gods that is coffee? Well, according to the Mayo Clinic, if you over-drink coffee (more than 500 to 600 mg) you might feel any of the following:
- Stomach upset
- Fast heartbeat
- Muscle tremors
- Sudden urgency to remove shirt.
Hah! Does one really have the sudden urgency to remove one’s shirt if s/he’s drinking too much coffee. Not really. We added that as a joke because if you search “people drinking coffee” this shirtless photo of Jesse Metcalfe drinking a mug of coffee turns up on Google.
>> Related Post: Artificial Sweetener Side Effects
By the way, for those of you who want to keep track of your coffee drinking and who do not want to drink more than 500-600 mg of coffee a day, you should know that a mug of brewed coffee is about 140mg. This figure is according to the UK National Health Services (nhs.uk). Meanwhile, here’s a listing of the amount of caffeine found in other drinks/food:
- one mug of instant coffee: 100mg
- one mug of filter coffee: 140mg
- one mug of tea: 75mg
- one can of cola: 40mg
- one can of energy drink: up to 80mg
- one 50g bar of plain chocolate: most products on the UK market contain less than 25mg
- one 50g bar of milk chocolate: most products on the UK market contain less than 10mg
Aside from the coffee side effects listed above, are there other health impacts we should be aware of? Well, the US FDA lists the following which is kinda similar to the Mayo Clinic list:
- Make you jittery and shaky
- Make it hard to fall asleep, stay asleep, or get a good night’s sleep
- Make your heart beat faster
- Cause an uneven heart rhythm
- Raise your blood pressure
- Cause headaches, nervousness, and/or dizziness
- Make you dehydrated (dried out) especially after a workout
- Make you dependent on it so you need to take more of it
So there! Those are some coffee side effects that you should be mindful of. By the way, it is important to note that coffee does not help you get rid of alcohol. And, to use the words of the FDA, “caffeine does not make a drunk person sober or fit to drive”. So if you are drunk, it is best to sleep it off and get someone to drive you home.
Let us end this post with another hot guy drinking coffee, shall we?
With this gorgeous guy, we sure don’t need coffee to make our heart go faster (one of coffee side effects listed above).
Coffee Side Effects: High Blood Pressure, Fast Heartbeat, and Jitters posted 11 October 2016. Latest update on 11 October 2016.