Ice Cream Side Effects: Listeria and Salmonella Infection? Lead Poisoning? We all know that ice dream is delicious. Heck, we like it so much we don’t mind eating a pint every week even if it means more time running at the gym. Despite its deliciousness, you should know that ice cream can be dangerous to your health.
No, we don’t mean the fact that ice cream adds more pounds to your weight. Neither are we talking about the bad cholesterol or the high blood sugar levels that you have to bear after eating ice cream. Instead, we are talking about the dangerous listeria monocytogenes that may be found in your ice cream.
Did you know that in the past 30 days, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has recalled four ice cream products because they were found to have listeria monocytogenes?
Here’s the list of ice cream products recalled:
- Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream. Various flavors of Ice cream containing chocolate chip cookie dough pieces made by Chocolate Shoppe Ice Cream Company, Inc. Recalled 11 October 2016 because of listeria monocytogenes.
- Blue Bunny. Hoppin’ Holidoodle ice cream made by Wells Enterprises, Inc. Recalled 10 October 2016 because of listeria monocytogenes.
- Blue Bell. Ice cream in the following flavors: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Cookie Two Step, Blue Monster made by Chocolate Chip Cookie, Krazy Kookie Dough. Blue Bell Ice Cream. Recalled 10 October 2016 because of listeria monocytogenes.
- Blue Bell Ice Cream. Ice Cream made by Blue Bell Ice Cream. Recalled 21 September 2016 because of listeria monocytogenes.
- Nestle Ice Cream Drumstick made by Nestle USA, Inc. Recalled 07 October 2016 because of listeria monocytogenes.
So why is listeria monocytogenes dangerous to your health? Well, here’s what the FDA is saying about what listeria in ice cream can do to you:
- Listeria monocytogenes can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
- Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea,
- Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
Miscarriages and stillbirths? It is that bad, eh? So make sure your ice cream is not on the “recalled” list before you enjoy eating its deliciousness.
In conclusion, let us post this photo of a hot guy eating ice cream. Why? Simply because we can. Hehe.
Ice Cream Side Effects: Listeria Infection Can Make You Sick posted 12 October 2016. Latest update on 12 October 2016.